Members wanting to take their Hunting Test are required to attend the following:
- One session at the Hunt Kennels, to include a talk from either the Huntsman, Whipper-in or Master with a tour of the kennels and stables.
- One practical session at either the kennels or other suitable place - to include opening and shutting gates and hunting conduct.
- One morning hunting accompanied by a suitable (nominated by the Branch of The Pony Club) adult.
The Hunting Test at the Hunt Kennels should be marked as follows:
- Accompanied days hunting 50%
- Oral examination 50%
The passing of the Hunting Test allows the Member to go hunting unaccompanied and this should be in the Examiners mind during the test. The Members should be tested orally, the Member either passes or fails wholly at the discretion of the Examiners.
It should be taken into account that the Member may be nervous, and the Examiners may try to lead the Member towards an answer if they feel they are suffering from nerves rather than ignorance.
If the Member is a borderline case, it is recommended that they be accompanied for a further days hunting by one of the Examiners and encouraged to explain what is going on during the day and be asked informal questions.
Examiners may then ask the Member as many of the following questions as they feel appropriate.
The Pony Club Hunting Certificate - Questions
What is meant by the following?
||A Drag Hunt
||Throws His/Her Tongue
||Get a View
|To Lay a Trail
||A Hound Opening
|To Draw Hounds
||A Mute Hound
||Red / Green Ribbon
|To Draw a Covert
- What part does hunting play in the Countryside?
- Whose goodwill does hunting rely upon to continue?
- Where are the _ _ _ _ _ Hunt Kennels situated?
- Who are the Masters of the _ _ _ _ _ Hunt?
- What days do the _ _ _ _ _ Hunt hunt and who is the Master responsible for each day?
- What is the Field Master’s role out hunting?
The following must be relevant to your hunt: -
- Who is the Huntsman?
- Who is the 1st and/or 2nd Whipper-in?
- Who is the Kennel Man?
- Who is the Stud Groom?
- Who is the Terrier/Fencing man?
- Who is the Secretary?
- When entering young hounds why do we meet so early in the morning?
- What farming task has to be completed before we may begin the Hunting season?
- When and where is the Opening Meet?
- What time do we meet?
- What do we wear?
- What do you do when you arrive at the Meet?
- What is ‘heel line’?
- What should you do before you go home?
- What is the role of Gate-shutters during the days hunting?
- What should you carry in your pocket?
- What is the organisation that defends and promotes hunting?
Accompanied days Hunting to include: -
- Hacking to the meet
- Saying good-morning to the Masters, Secretary and Hunt staff
- Conduct when riding in the hunting field
- Gate shutting
- Saying good-night
- Opening and closing a gate using a hunting whip
A Guide to Hunting A Pony Club Leaflet
The Test Cards produced on this page are protected by Copyright by The Pony Club all rights reserved. No parts of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior permission of The Pony Club.